In 1920, Museum of International Folk Art founder, Florence Dibell Barlett first visited New Mexico and stayed at the well-known San Gabriel Ranch. In the 1930's she bought and lovingly restored the 70-acre ranch renaming it El Mirador. Ms. Bartlett loved bright colors and light-filled rooms so she added a number of stained glass windows. The glass maker adapted her favorite Native American beadwork patterns into the designs. The window over the front door provided the inspiration for this piece.