The chandelier in your home is a beautiful and intricate light fixture that is often the focal point of any room that it is in. To make sure that your chandelier keeps shining bright for years, make sure to give your chandelier a thorough cleaning at least once a year.
For many chandeliers, you can easily clean your own. If your chandelier is too difficult to access or clean, you may want to contact a professional cleaning service. Professional chandelier cleaning services may range from $700-$2000+, depending the the size and intricacy of your chandelier.
If you do choose to your own maintenance on your chandelier, here are a few tips.
Gather all the supplies you need:
- Ladder – chandeliers can sometimes be lowered, but if it can’t you need a ladder to access the fixture
- Soft Cleaning Cloths/Gloves – to make sure that you leave no finger prints
- Towel or Padding – to place underneath the fixture in case anything drops so it won’t break
- Cleaning Solution – You can buy a solution in the store or you can make your own by using one part isopropyl alcohol and 4 parts water
Before Starting the Cleaning
- Always make sure that the chandelier is switched off at the off at the wall — even better make sure that the light is turned off at the breaker box
- Before cleaning, make sure that the bulbs and the entire fixture is cool
- Take pictures of the chandelier for reference in case you need to take it apart
- Place the padding underneath the fixture and lower it if applicable
- Use an alternative light source so that you do not clean your chandelier in the dark
Cleaning the Chandelier
- Spray your cleaning solution onto one cleaning cloth and wipe the crystals of the chandelier.
- Take a a dry cleaning cloth and immediately dry the crystal on the chandelier that has the cleaning solution.
- Make sure to never spray directly onto the chandelier because it may rust the metal
- If the chandelier has many parts, you can take it apart and clean — use the pictures you took earlier as reference to put it back together
- If you find that the frame of the chandelier is extra grimy, use a mild dish soap solution to clean it
- Always work around the chandelier and never twist the fixture around because you may damage the wiring.
Find the perfect chandelier and more at EliteFixtures