Rugs can be a great home to your home decor. It can be the piece in the room to help tie everything together or it can act as a statement piece.
The first step in choosing your rug, is to determine the layout of your furniture in the space that you will fill with the rug to figure out what size you need.
If you want to place a rug in a room where most of your furniture is resting against a wall, you need to find a rug that is large enough that at a portion of the front of the furniture are going to be on top of the rug. You don’t want to cover the whole area because it will make the room look smaller and it would practically be a carpet.
With furniture that does not rest against a wall, you want to make sure that all the whole body of all the furniture is within the surface area of the rug.
If you want to add a rug to your dining room, take both the length and width of the table and add two inches. The new set of dimensions is the dimensions for the rug.
If you want to put a rug in your bedroom, at least have the majority of the bed lay on top of the rug. Alternatively, you can use rug runners to place either on the sides of the bed or at the foot of it if you do not want to buy a large rug.
Some tips to consider when decorating with rugs:
- Not all rugs have to be rectangular, there are round, square and oval shaped rugs out there. Choose what you feel is most flattering
- Create a feature wall using a rug
- Rugs should be the same size if used in the same room
- Try different patterns
- Use rugs to be a outline different rooms in open spaces
- Dark rugs and patterned rugs hide dirt well
- Rug liners are great to keep a rug in place
Shop Rugs and More at EliteFixtures.com